Head of Litigation and Dispute Resolution
PHONE NUMBER: +52 (55) 5292 5232
Juan F. Bonequi Herrera
Juan Bonequi is one of the partners at BGBG. He has experience in the area of litigation, namely in civil, financial, constitutional, and amparo law, as well commercial law, bankruptcy proceedings, and commercial arbitration. He also participates in the human resources, international business, real estate, and money-laundering prevention areas from a legal standpoint.
Juan Bonequi advocates for the interests of various financial institutions, including banks, insurance companies, Multi-Purpose Financial Associations (SOFOMES, in Spanish), and fiduciaries in the proceedings in which such institutions may be involved. Moreover, he has served as a private lawyer in commercial arbitration proceedings and disputes arising from noncompliance with insurance, franchise, distribution, software development, trademark license use, and other contracts.
Juan Bonequi is experienced in preparing and negotiating all kinds of commercial contracts and agreements, including those related to international merchandise purchase and sale, distribution, public works, development and construction, insurance, franchises, and joint investments in various business and industrial sectors. To this end, he counsels various real estate and construction enterprises on operations and investment in Mexico.
He currently works as independent legal counsel at Financial Integration Services (SIF ICAP, in Spanish) and Sura Mexico.
- Masters in International Business Law, Universidad Iberoamericana, from 2003 to 2006.
- Graduate Degree in International Business Law, Universidad Panamericana, 2002.
- First Course for Low-Amount Arbiters in Low-Amount Arbitration, Centro de Mediación y Arbitraje de la Cámara Nacional de Comercio de la Ciudad de México, 2008.
- X Graduate Certificate in International Arbitration, Mexican Chapter of the International Chamber of Commerce and Escuela Libre de Derecho, July 2002.
- Bachelor of Arts in Law, Universidad La Salle, from 1993 to 1998.
- “Analysis and consequences of the Final Report on the case El Salvador vs. Mexico—Current methods and/or trends for granting health registrations and access to medicine”, a report derived from an arbitration performed in conformance with Solution of Conflicts in the Free Trade Agreement, Article 19-07, Chapter XIX, signed by the United Mexican States and the Republics of El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala, Mexico 2007.
- “The case of CIADI ARB(AF)/02/1 FIREMAN’S FUND INSURANCE COMPANY AND UNITED MEXICAN STATES,” an essay on the application of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Chapter XI, Mexico, 2006.
- “Legal Analysis of the Joint Venture or Strategic Alliance in Light of the Legislation of the United Mexican States,” Bachelor’s thesis, 2001.
- Partner of the Mexican Chapter of the International Chamber of Commerce, Arbitration Committee, 2010.
- Low-Amount Arbiter for the National Chamber of Commerce of Mexico City.
- Lecturer at Escuela Libre de Derecho for the course Roman Law [Obligations], 2001 and 2002 academic years.
- Lecturer at the West Hill Institute, Santa Fe campus, for the course in International Treaties, 2006 academic year.
- Participant at the Academia Mexicana de Derecho Internacional Privado.