New tender for the 2500-2690 MHz Frequency Band.
By means of Press Release No. 009/2018, issued on February 8, the Federal Telecommunications Institute published the approval of the Request for Proposal and Requirements of the Public Tender, for conceding the commercial use and development of 120MHz of the radio spectrum available in the 2500-2690 MHz frequency bands (Tender No. IFT-7).
The following are among the most important key points:
- This band will allow wireless access services, including mobile telephony and mobile broadband.
- The concession granted by the Institute will last 20 years.
- The Minimum Reference Value for each block of 20MHz was set at 350 million pesos.
- The reliability guarantee for participating in this tender will be of 700 million pesos, which may increase during the bidding process.
- 2 incentives are expected for new competitors in data transmission capacity bands: (i) the granting of an additional 30% in points, and (ii) the possibility for differing the delivery of the concession titles for up to 2 years.
- The following are established as coverage obligations of the winners: (i) provide services to at least 200 of the 557 locations with a population between 1,000 and 1,500 inhabitants that do not have mobile service, (ii) provide services, with their own infrastructure, in the 2.5 GHz band to at least 10 of the 13 metropolitan zones with over one million inhabitants and, (iii) provide services, with any available frequency band and infrastructure, either their own or belonging to a third party, to the main highways associated with the five special economic zones decreed by the Federal Executive Power.
- The tender will consist of 4 stages, starting with the statement of interest, the drafting of questions and answers, and the submittal of information and documentation pursuant to the requirements, from February 13 to June 1, 2018.
- Participation in the Tender may be done as a consortium.
- Winning participants may only collect 32.5% of the spectrum for the first phase, equal to 194.6 MHz. In case there are unallocated blocks, such limit may be increased in the second phase up to 35%, equal to 209.42 MHz
To know more about the benefits of this tender, and/or the participation schedule, we invite you to speak to BGBG Abogados’ Telecommunications, Media and Technology department.